On the occasion of World Environment Day, celebrated on June 5th, 2021, Afrik 21 discusses environmental emergencies in Africa and presents some of the continent's flagship ecosystem restoration projects. The articles in this special report, produced with the support of our partner SUEZ, a French specialist in environmental services, will be published over a whole week.
World Environment Day on June 5th, 2021 will raise awareness around the world of the need to preserve our environment, which is being seriously damaged. In particular, the public will be invited to re-establish their relationship with nature by adopting environmentally responsible actions. The day will also mark the official launch of the UN decade for “ecosystem restoration 2021-2030”.
In Africa, this issue is more than urgent. With the support of the SUEZ Group, Afrik 21, the leading media outlet on the green economy, the environment and sustainable development in Africa, will devote the entire week to the publication of articles on the state of Africa’s ecosystems, local environmental restoration projects, and the efforts made by certain companies to reduce their environmental impact.
Here is the programme:
Monday June 7th, 2021
- AFRICA: The urgent need to restore degraded ecosystems
- AFRICA: the circular economy at the heart of ecosystem preservation
Tuesday June 8th, 2021
- AFRICA: how the continent has integrated the notion of environmental protection
- AFRICA: Saving the oceans on land
Wednesday June 9th, 2021
- AFRICA: The continent tackles the tide of waste that sullies the environment
- AFRICA: Water at the heart of the continent’s environmental challenge
Thursday June 10th, 2021
- AFRICA: the impact of mining activities on the environment
- AFRICA: 9 countries benefit from a dryland restoration programme
Friday June 11th, 2021