MOROCCO: €40.7m for 10 wastewater treatment plants in Casablanca by 2025

By - Published on / Modified on

MOROCCO: €40.7m for 10 wastewater treatment plants in Casablanca by 2025©ungvar/Shutterstock

In Morocco, the municipality of Casablanca will spend 450 million Moroccan dirhams (more than €40.7 million) to reuse treated wastewater for watering green spaces by 2025. This budget is part of a funding package recently validated by Casablanca's new municipal board for its 2023-2028 Municipal Action Plan (PAC).

In the Moroccan city of Casablanca, ten new plants will allow the reuse of treated wastewater for watering green areas. The project will be implemented as part of the 2023-2028 Communal Action Plan (CAP), recently presented by the new Casablanca communal office.

Thus, the municipality will devote 450 million Moroccan dirhams (more than 40.7 million euros) to the construction of new wastewater treatment plants, in two phases. The facilities will be located in Al Hank, Casa Finance City, Sidi Moumen/Bernoussi, the City Centre and Ben M’Sik/Sidi Othman. This funding constitutes 60% of the budget required for this project. The Moroccan Directorate General for Local Government (DGCT) is providing the remaining 40%.

Reaching 20,000 m3 of reused effluent by 2025 in Casablanca

Each plant will be capable of treating 1,314 m3 of effluent per day, i.e. 6,570 m3 for the first five installations. The treated wastewater will be reused for watering the seafront promenade of the Hassan II mosque and the Anfa Royal Golf Club, the Arab League Park, the green spaces along the urban motorway (A3), the Alesco and Msik parks, the Mouley El Hassan park, the Mohammedia prefecture garden (24 km from Casablanca), the Mohammedia Royal Golf Club, the Pôle d’Anfa park and the Issesco and Hermitage parks.

Work on the second phase will be launched following the commissioning of the first five facilities. Two existing plants will also be rehabilitated to support the future treatment plants. The Casablanca authorities have given themselves three years, until 2025, to complete this drought resilience project. Eventually, it will increase the capacity to water Casablanca’s green spaces from treated effluent to 20,000 m3 per day.

Read also – AFRICA: Water and sanitation security today, a necessity!

Of the 39 billion Moroccan dirhams (over €3.5 billion) budget for the implementation of the CAMP, 3.14 billion Moroccan dirhams (approximately €285 million) will be spent on the construction of a technical landfill centre (CET) for waste in Médiouna.

A capacity of 1.5 million tonnes per year

The centre will be built on a 260-hectare site. The facility will be equipped with three units dedicated to sorting, treating and recovering waste into fertiliser and electricity. The centre will have a capacity of over 1.5 million tonnes per year. The Regional Council of Casablanca-Settat will provide 9% of the budget needed to carry out the work. The municipality of Casablanca is providing 28% of the funding and the remaining 63% will come from the DGCT, part of the Moroccan Ministry of the Interior.

The 124 other projects planned in the Casablanca 2023-2028 municipal action plan will be carried out in the sectors of transport, agriculture, etc.

Inès Magoum

More on the same theme

More on the same area

We respect your privacy

When you browse on this site, cookies and other technologies collect data to enhance your experience and personalize the content you see. Visit our Privacy Policy to learn more. By clicking "Accept", you agree to this use of cookies and data.

Newsletter AFRIK 21