SUDAN: Government seeks consultants for solar PV irrigation

By - Published on / Modified on

SUDAN: Government seeks consultants for solar PV irrigation ©Climber 1959/Shutterstock

The Sudanese government is inviting tenders for consultants to assist in the implementation of an irrigation project in the states of North Kordofan and West Kordofan. A total of 1,170 solar pumps will be installed in Sudan. Interested companies have until September 14th, 2021 to apply.

News about the project to install 1,170 solar irrigation pumps in Sudan. The government of the North African country is calling for expressions of interest from consulting companies. The deadline for submission of applications is September 14th, 2021.

The successful consultants will provide engineering and supervision services, design of solar water pumping systems, according to the requirements of each farm. The firms will also provide assistance to the irrigation project implementation unit, supervision and contract administration of works related to the installation and commissioning of the solar pumps. The firms will also support the project implementation unit through technical and financial supervision to ensure that all works are carried out according to the contract specifications. The consultants will also participate in the construction activities and in the implementation of the project’s environmental and social management plan.

Read Also – AFRICA: water, at the heart of the continent’s environmental challenges

The solar pumps will be installed in North Kordofan and West Kordofan states. In these parts of Sudan, rainfall is erratic due to the arid climate and climate change, with a negative impact on agricultural yields, according to the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO). The new equipment will be used to pump groundwater. In addition to food security, the project aims to reduce farmers’ dependence on fossil fuels, which are harmful to human health and the environment.

The risk of groundwater drying up

The irrigation project is 75% financed by a $21.7 million loan from the African Development Bank (AfDB). The remaining 25% will be paid in instalments over three years. The pan-African institution indicates that the installation of the solar pumps will be completed by December 31st, 2025.

According to the AfDB, such a project could cause overexploitation of the water table. For this reason, the bank has also commissioned a groundwater study and sustainability assessment “as a basis for further project development in Sudan”.

For more information on the tender, click here.

Ines Magoum

More on the same theme

More on the same area

We respect your privacy

When you browse on this site, cookies and other technologies collect data to enhance your experience and personalize the content you see. Visit our Privacy Policy to learn more. By clicking "Accept", you agree to this use of cookies and data.

Newsletter AFRIK 21