ALGERIA: In Oggaz, a plant will recycle plastic waste from September 2022

By - Published on / Modified on

ALGERIA: In Oggaz, a plant will recycle plastic waste from September 2022©Saravutpics/Shutterstock

The polypropylene (PP) and high density polyethylene (HDPE) plastics recycling plant in Oggaz is expected to come on stream this September 2022. The future facility will have a capacity of 40 tonnes per day.

More news about Oggaz’s polypropylene (PP) and high density polyethylene (HDPE) plastics recycling project. The plant under construction in the Algerian commune in the wilaya of Mascara will be operational by the end of September 2022. This was recently established by the local authorities. Still called “El Kader Plast”, the future facility, which covers an area of 2,000 m2, will solve several problems, including plastic pollution that degrades land and water biodiversity.

In Oggaz, the recycling plant will also accelerate the development of the circular economy, notably through the recycling of 40 tons of used plastics into granules. At least 70% of this secondary raw material will be supplied to the national and international plastic processing industry. The other 30% of the granules will be used to produce 30 pallets and pallet boxes per hour. This equipment will be sold to industries in the wilaya of Mascara.

Read also – AFRICA: the circular economy at the heart of ecosystem preservation

The cost of this plastic waste recovery project is estimated at 100 million Algerian dinars, more than 711,000 euros. It should create at least 200 jobs for young people in the commune of Oggaz and surrounding areas. According to the Mascara authorities, this figure could rise to 500 direct jobs, as well as a thousand indirect jobs within three months of the recycling plant becoming operational.

Unlike some African countries, Algeria is not very advanced in terms of waste recycling. According to the National Waste Agency (AND), the recycling rate of household waste, including plastic waste, did not exceed 10% of all waste collected in 2020. Hence the importance of projects like the one implemented in the commune of Oggaz.

Inès Magoum

More on the same theme

More on the same area

We respect your privacy

When you browse on this site, cookies and other technologies collect data to enhance your experience and personalize the content you see. Visit our Privacy Policy to learn more. By clicking "Accept", you agree to this use of cookies and data.

Newsletter AFRIK 21